I had planned to do one of these every 10 books, but I forgot until I was at 27 books so far in the year and figured I would wait until I hit 30. Between crazy overtime at work and other life thing, several months passed before I, finally, got to 30 books.
30 books is 60% of my reading goal for the year, thus I’m in the home stretch. I was about 5-7 books ahead of the game for the half of the year however life happens as it does and I got to 8 behind before a massive push to finish off one of the books that was dragging and I’d had from the library for 3 months set me back on track. After that book I knew exactly what I wanted to read and nailed 3 books in about 5 days meaning I’m only 5 behind.
Read so far:
11. The Selection by Kiera Cass 3/5 stars
12. The Elite by Keira Cass 2.5-3/5 stars
13. The One by Kiera Cass 3/5 stars
14. The Heir by Keira Cass 3/5 stars
15. Shades of Doon by Lorie Langdon and Carey Corp 2/5 stars
16. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell 1.5-2/5 stars
17. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone 5/5 stars
18. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4.5/5 stars
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 5/5 stars
20. Princess Academy by Shannon Hale 3.5/5 stars
21. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 5/5 stars
22. Finding Our Balance by Lauren Hopkins 3.5/5 stars
23. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenex 4.5/5 stars
24. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 4.5/5 stars
25. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 5/5 stars
26. The Magicians by Lev Grossman 2/5 stars
27. Wizards at War by Diane Duane 4/5 stars
28. Saga by Conor Kostick 3/5 stars
29. Storm Glass by Maria V Snyder 4/5 stars
30. Sea Glass by Maria V Snyder 4/5 stars
Average book rating: 3.7
Average new book rating (excludes re-reads): 3.0
Comments: Interesting reading choices and ratings in this section of the reading challenge. I remember reading the first 3 of the 4 Kiera Cass books in about 30 hours, an exhausting record for me, made all the more strange by the fact that I really didn’t like the books, I just wanted to know what happened as was in a mood for terrible plotted, predictable books.
I mentioned a reading stall occurring at the end of this list but I think I have moved past it since I read 3 books (all of them 400-500 pages) in the span of 5 days with work and job interviews and travelling. Quite an accomplishment! Obviously I would have liked to have gotten to this point in my reading challenge faster but I’m more happy that I seem to be back on track to finishing.
Many of the books I read on this list were re-reads and many were read via audiobook. Additionally, one of the books I read and reviewed was independently published book which I think is awesome! Support indy authors.
Re-reading Harry Potter was not because I was in the middle of several months of not reading (that happened after the re-reads). Rather, I was just craving a Harry Potter re-read. I also didn’t read any of the books I thought I was going to until the most recent few.
As for the fairly low ratings in this list, I knew I was unlikely to like Carry On but I read it because I was in a magic school kick and I was curious how bad of a rip off of Harry Potter it was. The Magicians was also due to the magic school kick and I didn’t end up liking it as must as a lot of other people did. I also knew I was unlikely to love the Selection series but I was curious and wanted a more silly/terrible contemporary read at the time. And I continued on with a series or two that I knew I wasn’t going to love the next book but I wanted to see where the story went.
On my reading goals: For the rest of the year I want to try and finish/continue some of the series I have started but have yet to finish or have put down. Also I have a few half read books and a handful of bought books that I haven’t read yet that I want to read. These three tasks have a lot of overlap and I’m not going to put numbers on them because I want to, first and foremost, enjoy reading, rather then just read to accomplish a task.
I do also want to write something about my re-read of Harry Potter and have actually started a post on it but have yet to complete it. Hopefully I can get to it before it feels like it has been too long so why bother.
Continue with these list posts but don’t wait so long nest time!
What’s next: Carry on with this reading binge and hope it brings be back in line with completing by reading goal of 50 books!