I admit, I generally don’t care or cry when characters die on-page, however, there are some character deaths that were more impactful than others and here is a list of those that others were really broken up about but I was not.
This post will have spoilers: (Harry Potter, Throne of Glass #2, Young Wizards, Hunger Games and The Magicians).
1. Dobby in Harry Potter – People love Dobby and hated his death, but I didn’t like him and didn’t really care when he died. Sorry.
2. Ponch in Young Wizards – I was spoiled for this so it wasn’t a surprise which is half the battle of a death.
3. Dumbledore in Harry Potter – Again, was spoiled and by that point I was angry at how much of a shitty person he was to Harry.
4. Nehemia Ytger in Throne of Glass – seemed gimmicky to me, a death of convenience.
5. Finnick Odair in Hunger Games – I was never attached to him as a character.
6. Alice in The Magicians – Never attached to her, didn’t care. Was another female death to save the rich white boy main character. Yes I know she’s not likely really dead.
As you can see there are three main reasons character deaths don’t impact me: I didn’t like the character, I wasn’t attached to the character or I was spoiled. Two of these issues are a product of the writing, though since a large majority of readers were impacted by these deaths, the onus in not completely on the author since people were impacted.
Are there any character deaths that didn’t impact you as much as other people reading the series? Please let me know below! Spoilers welcome, but many tag with the series so people can decide or not to read your comment.