31. Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire 5/5 Stars
32. Truly, Madly, Famously by Rebecca Serle 4/5 Stars
33. I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong (Charlie Anson) 3.5/5 Stars
34. The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov (Scott Brick) 4.5/5 Stars
35. Abhorsen by Garth Nix (Tim Curry) 4/5 Stars
36. Lady Stuff: Secrets to Being a Woman by Loryn Brantz (NetGalley) 3/5 Stars
37. Breaking Up is Hard to Do … But You Could’ve Done Better by Hilary Campbell (NetGalley) 2/5 Stars
38. If My Dogs Were a Pair of Middle Aged Men by Matthew Inman (NetGalley) 2.5/5 Stars
39. Heart and Brain: Body Language: An Awkward Yeti Collection by The Awkward Yeti (NetGalley) 4/5 Stars
40. The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson (various narrators) 4.5/5 Stars
41. Lies We Tell Your Kids by Steve Hoover 2.5/5 Stars
42. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh 4.5/5 Stars
43. Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg 3/5 Stars
44. Brimstone By Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Scott Brick) 5/5 Stars
45. The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Jonathan Marosz) 5/5 Stars
Average Rating: 3.8
Indy/self-published: possibly a few, up to 5 of them are from smaller publishers
Reviewed on Blog: 0
Bookshelf TBR: 4
So this post is so delayed that my ‘next ten’ was almost 20 by the time I got around to this so I split the difference and made it 15.
These books were a mixed lot. At the start of this list, I really really loved Down Among the Sticks and Bones and have bought a copy and will be re-reading before the year is done. But I was also browsing NetGalley and read several comic books, most of which were ‘meh’. I was feeling sad that I hadn’t really found any new favourites yet this year but boy did that change with the last handful of books. I thought I was going to be hard pressed to have a top 3 or 5 books this year about a month ago but at this point I’ll have no trouble with finding books, it’ll just be hard to order them from most favourite to not as most favourite.
4 more TBR bookshelf books were read in this bunch! I’m really proud of the concerted effort I have made in knocking down my physical TBR pile on my bookshelf. However, I gained 2 more books from a friend and bough one more and thus I’m still basically where I started, with 11 unread books still on my shelf. This goal is starting to feel like an epic saga, with a slow start, a push forward then losing ground followed by more progress and lost ground. Yet despite being more or less where I started at the beginning of the year, the average ‘wait time’ for the TBR books on my shelf has been reduced (I think… now I need to calculate that…). What’s more is that despite all this gaining and losing ground, I have now read 6 of my original 12 and gotten rid if one of the others, so if I never get to 6 or less by the end of the year, at least I have done that. Honestly, that makes me very happy. Also, I discovered a few unexpected surprises on my shelf which is another bonus to this challenge.
I’ve officially crossed my randomly picked number between 30 and 50 for my Goodreads yearly book goal and rapidly closing in on 50 books this year. I’m doing way better at this point in time then this point in time last year and am so happy and proud of my reading so far. Now I am reassessing and considering coming up with another goal to hit but really, I’m reading tonnes and enjoying myself which is the real goal here.