The best and the worst of the year. These are the posts most people love to read, because ~drama~. Here are my lists (for the record, I don’t include re-reads on my list of best or worst, and pick the best of a series if I read more than one):
Best (ranking approximate):
7. Games Wizards Play by Diane Duane
6. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
5. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh
4. Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
3. Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
2. Warcross by Marie Lu
1. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
My best books will never all have 5 star ratings and 5 star books will often not appear on my list. Why? Because my rating system is a mess and my favourites are more about my feeling and less about technical things. I remove stars for things like major inconsistencies (*coughwarcrosscough*) but I still love them.
Worst (rank definitive, novels only):
3. (Tie) The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern, EVE: The awakening by Jenna Moreci, Nerve by Jeanne Ryan, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
2. The Viral Storm: The dawn of a new pandemic age by Nathan Wolf
1. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
By novels only, I mean there were a handful of graphic novels I read for whatever reason that I don’t want to think about or list again. The 5 way tie I could not break because each book had something I absolutely loved about the book, but there was at least one thing that made them a 2 or 2.5 star read.